Skip to main content

Daughters should hold their parents hand equally?


Children have always been special to parents. They are like the world to them and parents keep struggling to make their world more colorful and a happier place to live. They choose the best clothes and toys for them, send them to the best school in town, fulfill their wishes, care for them being awake day and night when they are ill, pamper them, help them to reach a stable position in their career, and above all they love them unconditionally. We can say their life keeps revolving around their children no matter if it's a girl or a boy! 

Daughter of one family and Son from the other! Even before she could learn to live life on her own, she got married to the son from another family and the boundaries of her world now were already pre-defined. The culture in the family, the way we should speak or dress, where we should go, which job profile will suit us or even we need to work or not, how we should follow and learn to manage home were all tried to be dominated in one or the other way. Everyone simply kept our choices aside. 

But in our childhood, we were sent to the same school, we played together and studied together. We appeared for competitions together, fought together, cried as well as laughed together. We were living life happily together under the umbrella of the love of our parents which has always been pure and never partial. But then we were never brought to the realization that a daughter and a son's living has to be different after marriage. We were never told that a girl marries a boy when she grows up and she needs to learn to adjust! We were not taught in schools that a girl will belong to her husband's family more than their own home. Now your parents but after marriage, only his parents was something society also appraised. A step opposite to this could only bring a curse for you especially in a country like ours which is still following and believe in age-old traditions. The daughter and son loved their mum and dad equally and wanted to give the best out of the world to them but later priorities were dominantly changed.

Break the rules if they are framed wrong and do what feels right! When parents have never differentiated while giving birth to a daughter or a son, you should also hold their hands equally in the later stage of their life whatever the situation may be. Society is made of people and they are the ones who frame the expectations under different roles. Always remember there is nothing wrong or right because most of the things we are forced to follow are just 'man-made' or pre-determined by our elders in old times. When the time has changed, everything needs change, even some old followed traditions or culture. Try to follow your instincts and do what feels right for you and the people around you.

There is nothing more or less important rather both parents or both families should be equally important for both of you. It's only the situation that matters and keeping a balance in that particular situation, act wisely and make sure your parents are not ignored as well. Sometimes the emotional connection of the parents is more with daughters; they may understand them better and empathize with them better. You believe it or not but it's true. So, always be there for them as well when they need you. The parents have always pampered you both equally and now it's your turn to give them that same feeling and love. So, be it a celebration time or toughest time for them, you both are supposed to mark your presence almost equally in so-called your 'two homes' now after marriage instead of this being pushed only on her for your first home. 

 Shalini Singh

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mum, I couldn't let you go!

Every morning just before I wake up, I can hear you, Every night after I sleep, I can feel you. They say you will not be seen anymore, But trust me, I see you every moment in my core. So, mum I still couldn't let you go! Every small thing around takes me more towards you, Your hugs, your kisses, your shoulder is what I miss most of you. Those words and talks push me more to hold on to you, They say I need to now live without you. But, mum I couldn't let you go! Those unlimited talks I want more and more, No one else can be as close as you were. You were the one who understood me always, Your ideas on how to live life pushed me in many ways. So, mum I couldn't let you go! I keep scrolling through your photos all the time, But none of them come alive like your smile. I needed you in my every sorrow and happiness, Because life is tough and no one else can bring that easiness. So, mum I couldn't let you go!   You were the most beautiful and strongest woman I've ever see

Year 2020...deplorable yet second bite of the cherry!

  The 21st year of 21st century 2021 will come tomorrow! It is not coming alone but bringing along the new horizons in everyone's eyes! This new year is special because it's apparent that the topmost thing in everyone's new year wish list is only the COVID-19 vaccine. This COVID vaccine or its cure is something where the desire of a rich man meets with the poor. Yes, LIFE and DEATH is one thing which is the same to all and beautifully hides all the differences of mankind. The year 2020 now fading slowly and becoming invisible in the darkness of this night but it is stealing away the smiles of children, the dreams in the eyes, the sacrifices of many, the dear ones in families, the hopes of many people, the desires of teenagers, the love of elders and much more. This year brought us the deadly virus and loss of many life, loss in business, joblessness, confinement, and mental stress. But they say, not only this, it has given us a year to learn how to struggle, how important i

Does gender-differentiation really calls for gender neutral parenting?

I was a kid though but always wondered why everyone's conversation and actions keep revolving around the son in the family. Once somebody gave me a bowl of four laddoos from my neighbor sharing the happiness that a son was born in their family. The other day we received another bowl but only two laddoos this time. After returning from school, I asked my mum why only two today if the reason is the same? She told me because today a girl is born in some house nearby. I was shocked as I haven't witnessed such behavior in my home even being brought up with an elder brother. This mindset of people pinched me somewhere inside and envying this I told my mum when my daughter will be born, please distribute 6 laddoos in each house. This may be a mere expression of gender differentiation whose roots are sown in our own homes only! 'Don't cry like a girl', 'Boys don't play with dolls and soft toys', 'Don't be loud else society will say the girl doesn't